Friday, October 8, 2010

I Confess: I Have Baggage!

But it's ok because it's really wonderful vintage baggage!  As in suitcases!

This is the front bedroom.  It's the one that opens onto the living room via beautiful vintage french doors.  Here are a couple of before pictures. 

    Gorgeous woodwork. Hideous panelling.  The original floors are under
 that carpet but I can't take it out until I buy the place!



Oh! Hey!  You can see the unpolished switchplate in this photo!
(I know, I know, I'm obsessing on the switchplate!  Sorry.)
















And here's the same wall at about 75% of where I want it to be.

I'm seriously wishing I'd fixed that one suitcase handle and either hung or removed the picture (it's a framed vintage crochet piece that says "Welcome")!

I'm very happy with the blue paint next to the vintage woodwork. It's not the robin's egg shade it was intended to be but I've decided that it's the color the room is supposed to be!
The vintage ice skates are one of Mark's favorite dumpster finds.  And you might recognize that shiny switchplate from a previous lament. Today I'm kinda liking it!

No one seems to like or know what to do with vintage luggage. So they throw it out and I get it. I could easily stack it to the ceiling - and I might!

I feel particularly lucky when I find one that has a monogram or a Bakelite or Lucite handle (second from the bottom) or some wonderful racing stripes (bottom and middle)! Sometimes they have really wonderful subtle color or texture! Sometimes they're just rich old leather. I love them all!

These old suitcases are a great way to store things in a house with 1915-sized closets! Literally, the closets are 18 inches deep and hold about 12 items per side! The closet in the back bedroom is probably 24" square! The suit cases can hold papers, keepsakes, extra linens, games, out-of-season clothing, holiday decorations, craft supplies -- the possibilities are endless though (I would recommend from using them to store Mark's very helpful suggestion: reptiles! But I will probably use one for his clown noses!)

1 comment: