Friday, December 17, 2010

Welcoming Christmas

I'm hoping today that it is perceived as endearing that I am just simply open and honest.  To me, life is just WAY too complicated if you don't just put all your cards on the table and deal with things openly. 

With this as my mantra, I confess, I was at a loss for a blog post for today!  So, welcome to my front door!  These are a few of my favorite things and a couple of them happen to be Christmas-related so, TA DA!, quickie blog post!

I get lots of compliments on my house numbers so I know that they have more universal appeal than just that I like them. 



I started with a decorative plate rack -- $2 from the thrift store.  I find these EVERYWHERE because no one really knows what to do with them unless they are completely enamoured of a particular plate.  I added a platter from my daily ware -- also $2 from the thrift store. I use this dishware pattern because I like it but also because it is massively common and, therefore, available at thrift stores on a regular basis. I can and do easily and often replace or add pieces (translation: I've bought this set at least five times over!). On the surface of the plate I just stuck on some adhesive numbers (as is evidenced by the way the 8 is starting to peel a bit -- but that's ok because they're easily replaceable!). I found these numbers in the garage. I think they're left over from when my parents had to put numbers on their boat (in 1983!)!




 
You probably remember that thing about me being a Scrooge.  But I get the warm fuzzies over my Christmas door decorations! 



This wreath is made from a grapevine wreath form (found in a dumpster -- but you can get them anywhere for cheap!), a bunch of wonderful pearly berry things ($2 from the thrift store), and a bow made from gorgeous, decadent ribbon (bought at the thrift store for 33 cents for the whole roll!).   Total cost: $2.33.

 


The "Merry Christmas" sign is (surprise, surprise) a $3 thrift store find. I seriously wish I could say it was of my creation but, alas, I cannot. But someone DID make it -- out of spare cabinet door, some transfer letters, a stencil, some paint, and some drywall compound. I always hate to put it away after Christmas is over because it is just one of my favorite things!




I'll let you in on a little secret!  I would be just happy, happy, happy if Christmas decorating were so simple as hanging a wreath at the door and proping up a sign.  Maybe I'll simplify down that much in my old age someday!  But probably not -- "simple" is not really the way things in my world tend to be!  And now I'm off to tackle my complicated day!  Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment