Wednesday, September 7, 2011

We Had Too Many Tomatoes Soooo...

This is my new favorite delicacy! 

We had a big box of tomatoes from a friend's garden.  Clearly, this friend is better at growing tomatoes than I am.  My one little tomato plant looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree of tomato plants.  It's had a very hard, hot summer.  It is sad. 




The large population of tomatoes in my kitchen became a crisis when they came in danger of going bad and I had to think of a way to use them up.  I found recipe inspiration on the internet and Emily whipped up a pot of roasted tomato soup for us.  It was so amazingly good!  So I made it again.  And again.  The most recent time I made it (when I had to buy tomatoes), all the ingredients for the soup, plus a loaf of french bread to go with it, cost less than $10 (I try to make dinner for $10 or less every night).

I get to have some for lunch today.  I'm trying to resist my strong temptation to have it for breakfast!





YOU MUST MAKE THIS SOUP!  That is an assignment!  Don't just think "that sounds good" and go about your business.  Go buy (or pick, if you're one of those garden gods) some tomatoes and get with it!  NO EXCUSES!  You'll thank me later!


Roasted Tomato Soup

3 lbs tomatos
1/2 a large onion
3 cloves garlic
olive oil
2 boullion cubes
basil to taste (fresh or dried)
2-3 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
heavy cream

Cut tomatoes in half. 




Brush a cookie sheet with olive oil.  Lay tomatoes face-down on a cookie sheet.




Put onion (cut up or whole) and garlic cloves on cookie sheet.  Brush vegetables with olive oil.  Bake at 450 for 45 minutes.  Put everything from the cookie sheet into a pot with water, boullion, and spices.  Chop with an immersion blender (or put it all in the blender) to desired consistency (I like to leave it pretty chunky). 



Heat to desired temperature. 

Let everyone put their own dash of cream on top of their serving before eating. 



Enjoy, then thank me!


You have your orders!  Now, go!  Get with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment