Thursday, June 14, 2012

Stuff Being Broke Has Helped Me Learn How to Do Myself

I've been keeping this list in my head for months now!  I think it's time to write it down and free up some brain cells for other activities (like thinking and creativity and catching typos, perhaps)!

Here's a list of things we now make from scratch instead of buying ready-made or eating out:

Fried Chicken
Hamburgers
French Fries
Potato Chips (sometimes)
Corn Dogs
Chicken Strips
Asian Orange Chicken
Rice
Stir Fry
Fried Rice
Pancakes
Waffles
Muffins
Biscuits
Cakes
Cookies
Brownies
Salad Dressings
Chili
Soups
Soup Stocks
Whipped Cream
Laundry Detergent
Furniture Polish
Giant Gummie Worms!
I'm thinking I need a bread machine now too!
(I'm sure I'll be adding to this list as I remember more!)

And heres's a list of things I've learned how to do:

Change the brake pads on my car.
Change the battery on my car.
Repair iPhones.
Repair washers and dryers.
Replace kitchen sink faucet.
Replace light fixtures.
Build a TV antenna out of household items (that WORKS!).
Build a chicken coop. 
Upholster furniture.
Sew slipcovers.
Make pillows.
(I'll add to this list too, I'm sure!)

My 18-year-old daughter has learned all manner of auto mechanics and auto body repair from her father in our driveway. She can now diagnose many problems by engine noise alone!  I am very proud!

Luckily, I already had some skills in my pocket.  I can paint (rooms and furniture) well,  sew just about anything, and I know a lot of construction and home repair from flipping houses in the past and I've used those skills a lot -- though not as much as I'd have liked to because of a lack of money to buy materials!  I'm still researching cheap/free flooring ideas!  Mark wants to do a whole floor in bottle caps!  Wouldn't that be fun!

Alas, these skills have gotten me into trouble because I think that, even without money, I can still find a way to have most things that I want. 

Oh wait!  I CAN! 

With time, patience, optimism, luck, creativity, and FREESOURCEFULLNESS, I can usually find a way! 

And I'll tell you a huge secret:  it's more fun and vastly more satisfying to have to find a way and then to "win" by succeeding despite the obstacles!

2 comments:

  1. It'd be fun to read if you choose one of your food from scratch & posted an entry to how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll do that!

    ReplyDelete