Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Necktie Footstool




Behold a little project I finally got around to! We've had this little footstool for many years (alas, as usual, I forgot to take a "before" picture!). One day, Tessa's foot went through the woven top of it so it sat in the attic topless for a few years.


Last year I bought a whole bag of 22 neckties at a thrift store for $1.94. They were all pretty unattractive (one had Winnie the Pooh all over it!) but enmasse they can't help but capture that menswear feel. My plan was to make a round tablecloth out of the wide ends. Someday I'll get around to that! But the narrow ends were going to go to waste.





On my way down from the attic the other day I grabbed the stool. We pondered it for a while: "What can it be?" I contemplated using it as a stand for something -- but what? Mark turned it upside down and declared it a boxing ring for squirrels! That idea rejected, I went for my bag of ties and started cutting off the narrow ends. About halfway through this process, Mark came in and nearly keeled over because he thought I was cutting up HIS precious ties (no one loves his ties like Mark)!

It wove together very quickly and, I'll confess, is currently held together on the underside with safety pins! But, it's done at least for decorative purposes. One project checked off a very looooonnnnggg list of unfinished projects!




Someday I'll show you that tablecloth when I get around to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment